DIY God’s Eye
Appropriate for grades:
Subject areas: Visual and Performing Arts
Ojos de Dios (oh-ho-day-DEE-ohs), “god’s eyes,” are ritual objects made by the Huichol (wet-chol) indigenous people of Mexico.The Huichol symbolism of the god’s eyes is primarily associated with the prayers for their children – prayers for a good long life, protection and to insure abundant crops. God’s eyes are woven on sticks that are crisscrossed. The ends of the sticks represent the basic elements – earth, water, wind, and fire, and the four cardinal directions – north, south, east and west. The center of the eye symbolizes the power of seeing and understanding things we normally cannot see. Huichol people weave a pupil of black yarn or place a mirrored disk in the center of the God’s eye where the sticks cross to enhance the vision of the god’s eyes.
- 2 straight branches, sticks, dowels, popsicle sticks or skewers
- balls of colorful yarn (contrast colors; put light colors next to dark colors)
- white glue
- Optional: Glue a small mirror, tin foil, or sequin disk over the center of the cross.
- Tie two sticks together, in the shape of a cross, using one of your selected colors of yarn until it feels secure.
- Wind the yarn around the sticks, either clockwise or counterclockwise as desired, in the following rhythm: behind the stick, looped completely around the stick and on to the next stick, repeat.
- Change the color of the yarn by tying on a new color to the first color of yarn and pulling tightly. Continue the wrapping rhythm, then repeat with a new color until you reach the size you want.
- When you are finished, tie the end of the yarn. Snip off any stray tails when finished.
- You can also make tassels to tie to the ends of the sticks.Make tassels by wrap yarn loosely around your fingers 5 or 6 times. Slip a small piece of yarn through the top of the loops you have created and tie a knot around all strings. Snip the bottom of the loops. Tie the tassel to the god's eye.
- Make a small loop of yarn on the top of the Ojo de Dios to hang it.
- Optional: Glue a small mirror, tin foil or sequin disk over the center of the cross.